This is such a simple recipe that allows you to make truffle like chocolate vegan treats with pantry ingredients. Most of the ingredients I used were organic but the cocoa was unprocessed dutch cocoa not raw cacao... must get some raw cacao this week.
Vegan Peanut and Cashew Butter Chocolates
You will need:
Cocoa/ Raw Cacao
Raw Cashews (150g)
1.Start by placing 1/2 cup of coconut oil and 1/2 cup cocoa in a bowl. If your coconut oil is quite solid you can melt it slightly before adding to cocoa so you can mix it well.
2.Now add 1/4 cup maple syrup to the cocoa/coconut oil paste and a few drops of Stevia to sweeten. Taste and add another 1/8 cup maple syrup to suit your taste if it isn't sweet enough for you.
3. Using a spatula spread the chocolate paste onto a sheet of baking paper to about 2-3mm thick and place in the freezer to set.
4. While the base is setting make your cashew butter by placing your cashews in a mixer with 1-2 tsp of desiccated coconut and 1 tbs of almond milk and 1/2 tsp vanilla then blend and add a bit more almond milk to make a nice thick nut butter. Leave aside
5. Once the chocolate base sets in the freezer (5-10 mins) take it out and spread the nut butters over as shown below... do this for the peanut butter and then make another disk of chocolate by mixing the above quantities (in step 1&2) set it in the freezer and spread the prepared cashew butter over.
6. Now take the rest of your chocolate mix and gently heat it in the microwave (20 secs) or over a double boiler to a runnier consistency (like double cream) then smooth a layer over the nut butter and top with a light sprinkle of desiccated coconut. Freeze for 10-15 mins till set.
7. Cut your chocolates into shapes using a cookie cutter or slices with knife and serve chilled. Store extras in the freezer.